Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Walk In The Woods

I decided to document one of my days in pictures listing the time when the photo was taken so that you can get an idea what my day looked like. Of course I focused on the moments and colors that caught my eye, but the photo gallery gives you a good idea of life here. This particular day I went to visit various latrine beneficiaries to check up on how they are doing with their latrines. The community in which I work is located on the banks of a small river. The vehicular road ends at the river where you can cross a footbridge or wade across the river to other side where about half of my community lives. To get to their houses across the river people either walk or ride a horse or mule. There are quite a few families who live a 30-60 minute walk from the footbridge that crosses the river. Most of these photos are taken across the river where quite a few of the latrine beneficiaries live.

As you may remember I live a one hour walk, in the opposite direction of the river, from my community. The first public transport of the jeep of the day usually passes my house around 7:30. They’re used to my hitchhiking on the back by now. When I hear the jeep climbing up the hill before my house I grab my backpack, run up the steep hill by my house to the road, the jeep slows down, and I jump on. It’s usually at least a 20 minute ride to the river, which gives you an idea of how bad the road is when I can walk the same distance in 60 minutes.

Enjoy the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment